Hub Site functionality is rolling out to “Targeted Release” Office 365 customers now, so it I thought I’d give it a quick test.
Step 1: Check you are on “Targeted Release” in the Office 365 Admin Console > Settings > Organisation Profile.
Step 2: Go to SharePoint Home from the App Launcher and create a new Communication Site. Microsoft recommends using a Modern Communication site.
Step 3: Register the new Communication site as a Hub Site (via PowerShell)
- Download and install the latest SharePoint Online PowerShell Console (uninstall the old one first if you have it)
- Run the console and connect to your Office 365 Tenant
- Run this PowerShell command:
- Register-SPOHubSite https://tenantname.sharepoint.com/sites/commsiteurl
- Replace tenantname and commsiteurl with those from your site 🙂
Step 4: Create a new Modern Team or Communications site to test with
Step 5: In the new site, choose ‘Site Information’ from the settings cog (top right) and select the Hub Site created in step 2 and 3.
To test the functionality I created a news article in the site I created in step 4 and after a few minutes the news article appeared in the Hub Site.